See the full story on CNE’s Connecticut Connection
October 28, 1965, is the 50th anniversary of the last train run on the former CNE/New Haven Railroad between Canaan & Lakeville CT. It started at the historic Canaan Railroad Station, crossed two rivers (Blackberry & Housatonic), went between the two Twin Lakes, through the towns of Taconic & Salisbury & ended in Lakeville, a distance of 8 miles. Was active for nearly 100 years & survived previous petitions for abandonment. the trestle in Lakeville over Route 41 was removed in 1950. Housatonic RR removed the diamond at Canaan about 3 or 4 years ago. the only two businesses serviced before the abandonment in 1965 were Tri State (not sure of the last name) in Salisbury & the Community Service in Lakeville.
(all photos courtesy of Hopewell Junction Restoration Project