Category Archives: Connecticut

Rail Freight In Connecticut: The Service Providers

The Branford Steam Railroad

    is an industrial railroad serving the Tilcon Connecticut, Inc. stone quarry and provides service between its trap rock quarry in North Branford and its barge loading facility on Long Island Sound in the Stony Creek section of Branford. The railroad has an interchange with P&W on the shoreline in Branford, and loads ballast trains for Amtrak. Most of the carloads of stone products are destined for Tilcon/Buchanan Marine barges that ultimately deliver the stone products to Long Island, New York, although significant amounts are shipped by rail to metropolitan New York City. Tilcon also supplies its asphalt and concrete plants in Connecticut from the North Branford quarry.

    Central New England Railroad (CNZR)

is a short line railroad that operates in Connecticut over the Department’s Griffin Industrial Track between Hartford and Windsor (8.7 miles), and over the Department’s Armory Branch Line between South Windsor and the Massachusetts State Line in Enfield (13.5 miles). It interchanges with the Connecticut Southern Railroad (CSO) and Pan Am Southern Railroad (PAS) in Hartford. On the Griffin Line, trains run twice a day, five to six days per week totaling over 2,000 rail cars a year and on the Armory branch, it moves 125 cars a year for a total combined equivalent of 17,000 truck trips removed from local roads and highways. The company’s major customers include Home Depot USA, Hartford Lumber, Crop Production Services, and Blakeslee Wood Pellets. Primary rail commodities include lumber, chemicals, fertilizer, and wood pellets. The two branch lines are maintained at FRA Class 1 and Class 2 standards, and CNZR desires to replace the lighter rail sections dating back to the late 1800’s and increase crosstie replacement. The major impediment to the revival of this route is the removal of track in East Longmeadow and Springfield during the 1990’s, and the selling off portions of the right-of-way for parking areas. The State of Massachusetts Department of Transportation and the Pioneer Valley Planning Commission (PVPC) would likely be involved in discussions regarding future restoration of rail service on the former track bed of the Armory Branch.

CSX Transportation (CSX)

    operates over a 21,000 route-mile rail network. CSX serves 23 states, the District of Columbia, and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec. It serves every major population center east of the Mississippi River, including the New York, Philadelphia, and Boston markets in the northeast and mid-Atlantic; the southeast markets of Atlanta, Miami, Memphis, and New Orleans; and the Midwestern cities of St. Louis and Chicago. It also serves 70 ocean, river, and lake ports along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, the Mississippi River, the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence Seaway.

    In Connecticut, CSX operates nearly 70 miles of railroad and maintains 11 public and private grade crossings. In 2009, CSX handled more than 9,500 carloads of freight and employed seven people in Connecticut. Products shipped include lumber, municipal and construction waste, plywood, limestone, and wood pulp. In Connecticut in 2009, the company invested more than $1.3 million in the network and in partnership with state and local economic development agencies, businesses invested $1.75 million in new or expanded rail-served facilities on CSX Transportation or its connecting regional and short lines. CSX has a TRANSFLO terminal in North Haven that provides transloading (transfers of freight between railcars and trucks), materials management, and logistics services.

    Housatonic Railroad Company (HRRC)

is a regional short line that operates in the western part of Connecticut along the Berkshire Line (50.0 miles), and to Derby/Shelton via its Maybrook Line (33.5 miles) and in western Massachusetts. The Department owns the northern 36.4 miles of the Berkshire Line between Boardman’s Bridge in New Milford and the Massachusetts State line. HRRC owns the southern 13.6 miles of the Berkshire Line between Boardman’s Bridge and Brookfield, as well as the Maybrook Line to Derby. HRRC interchanges with CSX in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and has the potential to interchange with CSX in Beacon, New York. The HRRC has an opportunity to interchange with Pan Am Southern Railway in Derby, should the potential for this particular routing present itself.

HRRC operates trains between Pittsfield and Canaan on Monday through Friday, and between Canaan and New Milford on Sunday through Thursday. It operates a local switching operation in the New Milford-Danbury-Newtown area on Monday through Friday. There are switching yards in N. Canaan, New Milford, Danbury, and Hawleyville/Newtown, along with and an engine and railcar maintenance facility in Canaan.

HRRC handles approximately 6,000 railcars a year of commodities that include lumber, limestone, pulp, paper, and waste. This is the equivalent of approximately 24,000 truckloads. In addition to serving several large industrial customers and smaller shippers, Housatonic also moves a considerable volume of the traffic through its bulk transfer facility located at the intersection of I-84 and Route 25 in Newtown. The Newtown facility has the capacity to load/unload cars within its lumber terminal and on its bulk track with total capacity of approximately 30 car spots as well as additional capacity for car staging.

Naugatuck Railroad Company (NAUG)

    is a common-carrier short line railroad that operates over the Department’s Torrington Branch between Waterbury and Torrington (19.5 miles). It is primarily a historic tourist passenger railroad, operating out of Thomaston, providing sightseeing tours along the Naugatuck River. The regular operating season runs from May to October, and trains operate on Tuesday and Sunday. Additionally, independent charter tours are available throughout the year.

    The NAUG formerly moved regular shipments of lubricating oils to Waterville (section of Waterbury), and recent (September 2011) indications point to an early resumption of this traffic. NAUG handled a series of special overweight and over-dimension transformer shipments for CL&P, to Watertown and Torrington. Along the NAUG line in Watertown, a major Construction and Demolition (“C&D”) transload facility has completed the permitting process, being authorized to handle up to 2500 tons of outbound C&D daily. The preliminary site work for this facility has commenced as of September 1, 2011.

    In addition, the railroad has been the location for filming portions of several major motion pictures in the past few years. It has a maintenance shop in Thomaston and has the capacity to perform contract maintenance for other railroads and rail car fleets.

    Pan Am Southern Pan Am Southern Railway (PAS)

(Spring 2009) is a freight railroad jointly owned by Pan Am Southern (PAR) and Norfolk Southern Railway (NS). Under the PAS operating structure, the Springfield Terminal Railway provides all rail services for the joint venture. PAS operates on 105.7 miles of track in Connecticut over the Waterbury Branch (24.9 miles + 17.2), the Waterbury Industrial Track and Watertown Branch, the Canal Branch (3.4 miles), and the Springfield Line (59.2 miles). To service its Connecticut operations, PAS operates trains between East Deerfield, Massachusetts, and Plainville via Amtrak’s Springfield Line to Berlin, and then over PAS track to Plainville.

Norfolk Southern Railway

    is a subsidiary of Norfolk Southern Corporation, and operates approximately 21,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Colombia. Norfolk Southern services every major container port in the East and is North America’s largest rail carrier of metals and automotive products.

    Pan Am Railways (PAR) is the Northeast’s largest regional railroad. With operations in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, New York, and Canada, PAR interchanges traffic with fifteen railroads throughout its network.

    PAS has general-purpose rail yards in Waterbury, Plainville, and New Britain. PAS has centralized its’ Connecticut operations out of the Plainville yard, which serves as the logistical support center for track and signal maintenance forces, as well as a location for light mechanical repairs to railcars and locomotives.

    PAS transports carloads of propane, lumber and construction materials, steel, plastics, chemicals, stone, paper, and scrap. PAS is experiencing increased car loadings from several recent local business expansions and new industrial facilities. Perma-Treat Company, a railroad crosstie manufacturer owned by Pan Am Railways, loads several hundred carloads per year of new railroad crossties out of New Britain yard, shipping primarily to northern New England and Atlantic Canada.

    Tilcon’s quarry in New Britain/Plainville is connected to the rail line, but is not presently shipping by rail. The Canal Branch in Plainville and Southington has three active clients: J.W. Green ships outbound scrap metals, Forestville Lumber receives carloads of both plywood and dimensional (structural) lumber, and a new Amerigas Distribution Center receives significant inbound shipments of propane in tank cars for final distribution by truck. Another new rail customer is Clark Western, a manufacturer of steel building studs who receives carloads of steel coils. Clark Western modified and updated a portion of the former New Departure building in Bristol. Firestone’s Roofing Products Division occupies a large section of the New Departure plant that receives significant inbound shipments of liquid raw materials and chemicals for manufacturing. In Waterbury, Albert Bros. Scrap Metals ships several hundred carloads of outbound scrap steel. The Waterbury Republican-American newspaper receives occasional carloads of newsprint.

    PAS connects at Waterbury to the Naugatuck Railroad, which receives inbound shipments of oversize and over-weight electrical transformers for Connecticut Light & Power. Hubbard Hall Chemical in Waterbury receives inbound chemicals in tank cars. Occasional carloads of wood stove pellet fuel are shipped to a distributor at Beacon Falls. Kerite Co. in Seymour manufactures and ships oversized underwater cable that is too large and too heavy to ship by truck.

    A Construction & Demolition (C&D) transfer facility in Waterbury is completing a sidetrack for loading several outbound carloads of material each day. This facility alone will require PAS to increase the frequency of service to Waterbury. Additionally, a second large C&D facility along the Naugatuck Railroad’s Torrington Branch is in the final stages of permitting. This project would drastically increase outbound car loadings in the Waterbury area.

    Presently, PAS runs a round trip from East Deerfield, Massachusetts to Plainville once per week. East Deerfield is PAS’ primary connection to the North American rail network. On alternate days, PAS runs out of Plainville to Southington, New Britain, Bristol, or Waterbury, as demand warrants. New customers coming on line in the Waterbury area will likely require a second locomotive and second train crew to be assigned to PAS’ Connecticut operations.

    The Providence and Worcester Railroad Company (P&W)

is a regional FRA designated Class 2 railroad operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Long Island, and as far south as the New York area. In Connecticut, P&W operates over 238.5 miles of track, consisting of 67.9 miles of its own lines, 85.5 miles of line over which it has operating rights and provide service, and 85.1 miles of track over that it operates through trains only. It operates on track it owns in the eastern part of the state, including the Plainfield Secondary Line (53.2 miles) and part of the Willimantic Secondary Line (10.8 miles). It has rights to move trains over the NHL (46.8 miles), over the southerly 4.8 miles of the Middletown Secondary, and over the Maybrook Line from Derby to Danbury (33.5 miles). P&W recently reconstructed the line between Middletown and Hartford (13.6 miles) on the state-owned right-of-way. P&W has exclusive operating rights over the Wethersfield Secondary. The Willimantic Branch line has recently been reconstructed from the Versailles yard to the Willimantic yard for restoration of local and through freight service. P&W plans to upgrade the Branch to permit 40 M.P.H. operations.

P&W has classification yards in Plainfield and Willimantic, and operates an intermodal facility in Worcester, Massachusetts, where it interchanges with CSX Transportation (CSX). It interchanges with Pan Am Railways (PAR) in Gardner, Massachusetts, and the New England Central Railroad (NECR) at Willimantic. The connections at Willimantic and New London provide access to the Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Railway. P&W interchanges with the Connecticut Southern Railroad in North Haven and Hartford, and with the New York and Atlantic Railway in Fresh Pond, Long Island, New York.

P&W serves many industrial facilities and supports a large number of rail and industrial jobs in Connecticut. Among its dozens of clients, P&W serves the Frito-Lay production facility in Killingly, a chemical and bulk plastic transfer facility in Plainfield, several rock quarries and gravel pits, a construction and demolition debris facility in Portland, and metal transfer facilities in New Haven and Middletown. It has a maintenance-of-way equipment repair facility in Plainfield; along with a fully equipped spray-paint facility for locomotives and rolling stock.

P&W operates trains between Plainfield and North Haven and between North Haven and Middletown on Monday through Friday, with trains to Danbury as needed. P&W also operates trains between Plainfield and Groton and between Plainfield and Putnam on Monday through Friday, and to Willimantic nightly for the newly re-activated interchange with New England Central Railroad.

In 2010, the company transported nearly 35,000 carloads of freight that included a mix of chemicals, plastics, and minerals, and nearly 24,000 intermodal shipments, some of which originate or terminate in Connecticut, and estimates it diverts more than 100,000 truck trips from Connecticut’s highway system annually.

RailAmerica, Inc. is a holding company that owns and/or operates 13,200 miles of track on 43 separate railroads in 28 different states and 3 Canadian provinces. RailAmerica, Inc. has two subsidiaries that operate in Connecticut: Connecticut Southern Railroad (CSO), and the New England Central Railroad (NECR).

Connecticut Southern Railroad (CSO) is a subsidiary of RailAmerica Inc., operating on CSX from West Springfield to Springfield, Massachusetts, and on Amtrak from Springfield to North Haven (53 Miles). CSO owns and operates the Manchester Secondary Line (9.6 miles), the Windsor Branch Line (6.8 miles), the Wethersfield Branch Line (3 miles) and the Suffield Branch Line (4.4 miles). CSO also operates on the spur track to Bradley Airport that the State of Connecticut owns (2.4 miles) and operates trains between Springfield and Hartford and between North Haven and Hartford on Monday through Saturday, and out of Hartford daily. CSO interchanges traffic with CSX Transportation at their West Springfield, Massachusetts yard. CSO also moves traffic for CSX between West Springfield, Massachusetts, and North Haven under a haulage arrangement.

The major commodities carried are construction and demolition debris (C&D), road salt, lumber, steel, grain, paper, chemicals, cullet, pulp and consumer goods. It estimates it diverts more than 80,000 truck trips per year. It has switching yards in Hartford (30 acres) and East Hartford (10 acres). CSO provides the only physical interchange access to the Central New England (CNZR) isolated state-owned branch lines – the Griffin Industrial and the Armory Branch. The CSO also has an interchange with the Providence & Worcester Railroad at Hartford via the Wethersfield Branch that is currently inactive.

CSO has two major projects that are under active development. A paving stone manufacturer is interested in constructing a sidetrack in North Haven (off the Amtrak mainline), and a major C&D transfer station is under construction in Berlin (off the Amtrak mainline).

The CSO’s route to Bradley International Airport connects with the New Haven-Springfield Amtrak mainline at Windsor Locks. This route could be upgraded for direct passenger rail access to the airport and should be included in studies involving future rail and intermodal passenger options for Bradley. This route also serves the Connecticut National Guard’s Camp Hartell facility.

The CSO’s customers are in need of 286,000 pound freight rail capacity. This is the current North American standard, in place since 1995, according to the Association of American Railroads. Currently Amtrak’s New Haven-Springfield line is not rated for 286K weight limits, with a limit of 263,000 pounds gross on rail weight. The major impediment to upgrading this route to 286K standards is Amtrak’s Connecticut River bridge near the Connecticut/Massachusetts border. Amtrak has done a study of this bridge and what is needed for its upgrade but lacks funding. South of the CSO’s Hartford yard, Amtrak’s Hartford Viaduct structure is also restricted to 263,000 lbs. and requires upgrade. CSX’s route through Springfield, Massachusetts, which is CSO’s connecting interchange partner, is currently rated for 286K over heavier loads. Thus, if the Amtrak route were upgraded, immediate connection is available for the movement of 286K cars into and out of Connecticut. The majority of CSO’s customers are in need of the higher weight standard, including C&D, road salt, feed ingredients, and cullet. Significant traffic growth for Connecticut and the region can be achieved with the completion of this heavy haul corridor. Without upgrading to modern 286K weight standards, Connecticut will become an “island” that no longer conforms to the equipment and shipping standards of the North American rail network, thus directly affecting Connecticut businesses by limiting their shipping access and competitive options.

The Connecticut Resources Authority (CRRA) at Hartford generates high volumes of ash that could be transported by rail. The facility once had freight rail infrastructure in place. The CRRA could have the rail freight infrastructure restored and convert its existing truck shipments to rail, thus eliminating truck trips along Connecticut’s urban highway system.

New England Central Railroad (NECR) is a subsidiary of RailAmerica, Incorporated and operates on its own line between New London and Stafford (55.8 miles) and on to East Alburg, Vermont, and a distance of 326 miles, where it connects with the Canadian National Railway. It also interchanges with CSX at Palmer, Massachusetts, Pan Am Southern at Millers Falls, Massachusetts and Canadian Pacific via Bellows Falls, Vermont. The NECR is unique in that it offers Connecticut businesses access to all four Class I railroads. It also interchanges with the Providence & Worcester Railroad at Willimantic and New London. NECR transports more than 19,000 carloads annually in Connecticut, consisting of paper, plastics, lumber, copper, wood products, corrugated paper, coal, ethanol, and fly ash.

The NECR directly services the Port of New London, Connecticut and provides access to the Port of Montreal via the Canadian National Railway (CN). The NECR is interested in working with the State of Connecticut and their selected port operator to grow rail freight business at New London.

The NECR is currently cleared for Phase I modified double-stack container movements (one domestic and one international container stacked), after a coordinated effort by the NECR, State of Vermont, and USDOT to remove clearance obstacles. The route needs to be cleared for Phase II containers. CN currently markets its container service to New England customers via this route, utilizing P&W’s Worcester, Massachusetts terminal that is reached via the Willimantic NECR-P&W interchange connection. Increased rail freight business can be achieved by opening up the route to Phase II container capacity. This route is listed as a high priority in the Massachusetts and Vermont State Rail Plans as a continuous corridor. The clearance project has also allowed the movement of modern tri-level auto carriers moving via this route.

Customers served in Connecticut include Freeport-McMoran Copper at Norwich; Kof Koff feed ingredients at Franklin, and AES Thames power plant at Thamesville. The Willimantic interchange with the P&W has been a source of growth for Connecticut and regional New England businesses and is in need of upgrade. The route is also a growing through route for freight moving to and from the NECR’s four Class I railroad connections, such as ethanol, road salt, finished autos, and coal.

In 2012, the NECR will complete its High Speed Rail project in Vermont and New Hampshire. As part of that project, all bridge and track structures will be upgraded to handle the modern 286,000 pound gross weight railcar. A small portion on the north end of Vermont and all of Massachusetts and Connecticut remain in need of similar upgrades to create New England’s first heavy haul 286,000 K multi-state corridor. 286,000 pound upgrades to the NECR corridor are listed as high priorities in the Massachusetts and Vermont State Rail Plans, thus forming a continuous corridor. Significant traffic growth for Connecticut and the region can be achieved with the completion of this heavy haul corridor. Without upgrading to modern 286,000 K weight standards, Connecticut will become an “island” that no longer conforms to the equipment and shipping standards of the North American rail network, thus directly effecting Connecticut businesses by limiting their shipping access and competitive options.

Communities along the NECR in Connecticut and Massachusetts have become interested in reestablishing rail passenger service along the line. This group, the Central Corridor Line Coalition, is actively working together to explore the opportunities that passenger rail service could provide. The Central Corridor Line links Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor at New London with the Mohegan Sun Casino at Uncasville, the University of Connecticut at Storrs/Mansfield, the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, and Amtrak’s Vermonter service at Brattleboro, Vermont. In addition, a casino is likely to be built in the Palmer, Massachusetts area within the next three years. The service could be provided by a private rail operator under contract with the Corridor.

Valley Railroad Company (VRR) is a tourist railroad that operates between Old Saybrook and Haddam along the right-of-way owned by the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. The company began operations on July 29, 1971. It has authority to operate up to the southern end of the P&W’s Laurel Branch in Middletown.

From May through the Christmas season, the VRR runs up to five round trips per day, three to seven days per week, on various segments of the line from Old Saybrook to the current end of usable track at Mile Post 12.75 in Haddam. During some special events up to 40 trips per day may operate. Many patrons additionally make a riverboat connection with company facilities in Deep River. There are additional excursion services provided on a smaller scale during the winter and early spring months. The company’s positive economic impact on the lower Connecticut River valley community is significant, regularly drawing 140,000 visitors per year, with almost half being from out-of-state.

Most public highway/rail grade crossings have been upgraded rail weighing 107 pounds per yard or heavier, and many are in very good condition. Most private crossings are smaller rail, with several being 100-year-old 74 pound rails. Twelve of the fourteen public crossings are equipped with active warning devices. Most of these systems were designed, constructed, and funded by the VRR, and are maintained to FRA standards at the Company’s expense.

There is no “brrreeeport” in Connecticut, but there are plenty of towns that are served by freight railroads. Search them out!

Connecticut Trolley Museum…..The Early Years

This old car is now at the Connecticut Electric Railway. Before going to Montréal, it worked in Springfield, Mass. Number 2056 is a steel lightweight built by Wason in 1927 and acquired in 1959.

Going to tell some stories about early years of Connecticut Trolley Museum. Will have to edit it, but the full story is o oour WebSite.

The Connecticut Electric Railway Association (CERA), which operates the Connecticut Trolley Museum in East Windsor, was founded in 1940 by three members of the Connecticut Valley Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. Henry R. Steig, Richard E. Whittier and Roger Borrup incorporated to preserve something of the then-rapidly-disappearing traction era. The museum trackage operates over a section of the old Hartford & Springfield Street Railway Company. This line covered the 25 miles between Hartford and Springfield with two parallel lines on each side of the Connecticut River. Carbarns were in Warehouse Point and across the river in Windsor Locks. It did not directly serve either namesake city, but instead connected with the street railways in each city. It also had two branches: one to Somers and the other to Rockville. The H&S went into receivership in 1918 and the last car on the Rockville branch was in 1926.

3.25 miles of the Rockville branch is now owned by CERA. About 1.5 miles of the line is tracked. The remainder of the right-of-way traverses several curves, descends a six to eight percent grade, then skirts the bank of the Scantic River before crossing to a terminus near Broad Brook. Along this area is Piney Ridge where the H&S ran a small amusement and picnic park.

In its early years, the organization concentrated on acquiring equipment. Much of this was from Connecticut and was moved from car barns with the help of the Seashore Electric in Kennebunk, Maine. About this time, the last cars left the James Street carhouse in New Haven. The 1950 goal was to build 500 feet of track. To accomplish this, rails were hauled in by jeep and boat trailer. Rail was bought from Warwick Ry. in Rhode Island and delivered to nearby Windsor Locks. Seven poles were set by a pole contractor. Also about this time, the North Road Station was completed. A committee was formed to buy a push car for track work. Members had “rail bonds” that they bought. Each $30 bond funded a 30-foot section of rail.

In the early 1950’s, it was much easier to run trips on local railroads and this became the main fund-raiser for the group.

In 1952, members were requested to bring in scrap metal. Some of it still seems to be on the property!

Read the rest of the story and LOTS MORE
https://penneyandkc.wordpress.com/the-trolley-in-connecticut/

The Canal Line In New Haven

The old New Haven to Northhampton line was started in 1846, when the New Haven & Northampton Canal Co. was authorized to build a railroad to replace the canal.

In 1848, the NH&N was leased to the NY&NH (before the NY&NH bought the NH&H to create the NY,NH & H0) who operated it until 1869, then the NH&N ran it until 1887, when the NH bought it, they ran passenger trains until 1929, but until 1969, when the PC got it it was mostly intact (The New Hartford to Collinsville branch was abandoned in 1958, the Shelburne Junction to South Deerfield was gone by 1923, and the rest of the line -South Deerfield toNorthampton – in 1943 and the Willamsburg to Florence in 1962 was abandoned, but the main line was in use). In 1969 PC abandoned the Collinsville to Farmington branch, along with the Florence – Easthampton branch and the main line from Easthampton to Northampton. In 1976, the USRA took out the middle section from Simsbury to Westfield saying it wasn’t needed, the state of Connecticut subsidized the operations from Avon to Simsbury (there was a few customers in Simsbury). In 1981, Connecticut stopped subsidizing freight operations from Avon north to Simsbury, then the B&M (who in my opinion should not RUN a model train layout, let alone a real railroad, acquired the New Haven to Avon line – with the Westfield to Easthampton line taken over by Pioneer Valley. In 1987 New Haven to Cheshire was abandoned (low clearences , so modern boxcars couldn’t go under them), then in 1991 B&M got rid of the Plainville to Avon track. In 1996, B&M got rid of Cheshire to Southington line – and the rest of the line is mostly out of service. Most of the line is now trails. Plainville is the hub of the PAR (nee B&M) operations in Connecticut.

Canal Line Southern end in the 1980’s. Between Cheshire and Hamden.

See lots more on abandoned railroads in Connecticut
https://penneyandkc.wordpress.com/old-railroads-of-connecticut/

More Bar Cars On The New Haven Railroad?

The best-known bar car V XI-GBC a.k.a. Five Eleven Gentlemen’s Bar Car

When the government stepped in with modern “Cosmopolitan” cars (1970’s). At that time, someone sent us an article that had a proposal for bar cars. After 30+ years we seem to have lost the source, but will reprint it below anyway.

Read more interesting stories about the New Haven Railroad
https://penneyandkc.wordpress.com/connecticut-railfan/

You Are Now In “Alice’s Restaurant” Territory

Arlo Guthrie’s church was extensively used in his 1968 film Alice’s Restaurant, which became kind of a hippie-era cult classic. It may still show up on some cable station now and then. According to Arlo’s version of the story, which he tells in his long narrative song of the same name, it’s supposed to be true.

The film has one brief scene, of New Haven train #138 at Stockbridge.

Berkshire historians know that there never was an “Alice’s Restaurant” — not by that name anyway! Its most recent reincarnation was as Theresa’s; used to be known as The Back Door.

Old photos show as many as five tracks across from the church. This is where the State Line branch went off the main line. All freight and passenger business was done here. The lines paralled up to Rising or Dalys, where the branch went off to State Line. There is a large block of marble where the station was and I have always wondered if it was part of the foundation? Last Passenger train to State Line was a “Mixed Train”.

Alice Brock’s “The Back Door” was in “downtown” Stockbridge, at the rear of an alley. That’s the establishment spoken of in the song, and briefly featured in the film, which was all shot on location.

As a result of Arlo’s song and film, Alice sort of got “discovered” and opened a considerably larger and far more upscale establishment up on Rt. 183 across from Tanglewood, called “Alice’s at Avaloch” (which, by the way, Arlo was a business partner in). Last time we were in that territory that place was called “The Apple Tree Inn.” I don’t know what it is today. Last I knew, over 15 years ago, Alice had moved all the way across Massachusetts to P’town. Don’t know if she was still in the restaurant business there!

Arlo and his “brood” are still active in the area. His Guthrie Center at the old church is doing a lot of community-oriented stuff today. As far as I know, they handle their garbage in more conventional ways nowadays!

He himself lives on a farm in Washington, MA. His home in Sebastian, FL got pretty much wiped out in the hurricanes of a couple of years ago.

Read more on the Housatonic Railroad

https://penneyandkc.wordpress.com/housatonic-railroad/

Cedar Hill Was Old And Huge, But It Did The Job

Cedar Hill was built between 1910 and 1920. The roundhouses were built in 1911. The Shore Line Receiving Yard, New York/Maybrook Receiving Yard, the two humps, Eastbound Classification Yard, and Westbound Classification Yard were built in 1918. The Montowese Tie Plant was built in 1922. The LCL warehouse and terminal were built around 1930.

If they started construction 1910, planning must have been around 1909. That puts the beginnings of Cedar Hill firmly in the Mellen era, along with his other major projects. Cedar Hill became in the 1920’s the keystone of the whole New Haven Railroad freight operation. It seems to have started out as a more local facility, then grown into that larger role. Or was the idea of making it the center part of the original intention?

The Cedar Hill Yards were part of the New Haven Terminal which consisted of 25 yards and switching districts and provided a classification facility to serve the several routes which converged there. Cedar Hill Territory had 14 yards with a capacity for 15,000 cars. The territory covered 880 acres, extended 7.1 miles from New Haven to the most northerly point, was approximately 1.5 miles wide, and had 154 miles of track.

The lazy, graceful pattern of the Quinnipiac River, with its bordering marshes, made the design of Cedar Hill a rare study in space utilization. The yards’ busiest was during World War II when a record 9,415 cars were handled.

At Blatchley Avenue Bridge, the tracks start to spread out to: (1) northbound main to Hartford and Springfield; (2) Shore Line to Providence and Boston; (3) Air Line to Middletown ( formerly to Willimantic and Boston); (4) the various yards and facilities of Cedar Hill. Note at this point the trackage is still electrified. Cedar Hill was the engine change point from electric to steam (and later diesel). By the 1940’s, Cedar Hill was almost unique in the variety of power it dispatched over three divisions – steam power, streamlined electric motors and brand new ALCO-GE diesels. To further complicate things, several bodies of water roam through the area – primarily the Quinnipiac River.

Find out more about Cedar Hill Yard
https://penneyandkc.wordpress.com/cedar-hill-railroad-yard-in-new-haven/

The Essex Steam Train Ride

Living in Connecticut, I had no excuse NOT to visit the Valley Railroad in Essex. Even living in upstate New York, it is a place not to miss. The big feature of the Valley Railroad is the steam train ride.

The train runs from Essex to above Deep River and then backs to Deep River where boat passengers get on and off. The former branch line runs from Old Saybrook on Long Island Sound to Middletown (you guessed it – in the middle of the state).

The train ride is not the only attraction. Essex is also the location of the Connecticut Valley Railroad Museum.

The Connecticut Valley Railroad Association was established in 1968 to operate trains powered by steam over the New Haven Railroad. It is a non-profit organization which works closely with the for-profit Valley Railroad Company which owns the abandoned New Haven Valley Branch along the Connecticut River. The museum is an all-volunteer effort while the VRR concentrates on running the steam trains (a very expensive proposition). The museum’s aim is to provide a successful interpretation of the history of New England railroading that will be the equal of the state-supported museums in Pennsylvania and California.

The original steam locomotive on the Valley was #97, a coal-fired 2-8-0 “Consolidation” built by Alco’s Cooke Works in 1923. The first owner was the Birmingham and Southeastern (an Alabama shortline). Stored from the 1950’s until 1964, #97 worked a while for the Vermont Railway before going to the steam department of the Connecticut Electric Railway. After the takeover of the former New Haven by the Penn Central, which tended to discourage steam excursions, the locomotive sat in Danbury for almost a year before being shipped to the VRR.

#40 is a 2-8-2 “Mikado” built by Alco’s Brooks Works in 1920. It was a “boomer” and worked for railroads all around the country. Purchased by the VRR in 1977, #40 is a favorite of engine crews even if not quite as economical to operate as #97. #40 is currently being overhauled.

There are several other steam locomotives on the VRR which are currently unserviceable or static displays: #3 is an 0-4-0 Fireless built by Porter in 1930. #10 is an 0-4-0 Saddle Tank built by Baldwin in 1934. This locomotive is being restored to service with funding by donations of beverage containers (for “bottle bill” refunds). #103 is a 12-6-2 “Prairie” built by Baldwin in 1925 and last run in 1975. #148 is a 4-6-2 “Pacific” built by Alco’s Richmond Works in 1920 for Florida East Coast’s passenger service. #148 switched for a sugar refinery before going to the New Hope & Ivyland. Destined for the Adirondack Railway, it finally ended up on the VRR and is stored unserviceable.

The sole electric is #300, an EF-4 3300 HP electric road freight locomotive built by GE in 1956. It was owned originally by the Virginian Railway but picked up almost new for $20,000 when the Norfolk & Western took over. When CONRAIL ceased electric freight operations in 1979, #300 became surplus. It is the sole survivor of the once-huge New Haven fleet of 125 electrics.

Numerous diesels are on the property. As you enter the parking lot, E9A #4096 is displayed in a classic New York Central “lightning stripe” color scheme. Built in 1963 for the Union Pacific, it hauled the last Union Pacific passenger run before AMTRAK. It then went to work for AMTRAK. It hauled the last Auto Train in 1981. #0401 is an FA-1 1500 HP road freight diesel built for the New Haven by Alco in 1947. There is an RS-1, 2 SW-1s, 2 RS-3s, 2 44 ton GEs, a U25B (last locomotive built for the New Haven) and an 80 ton GE owned by the Army and used by a local Army Reserve unit.

There are four self-propelled rail cars: a 1930 Brill, two 1954 Pullman M.U.s, and a 1931 Brill rail detector car (ex New York Central).

There are 33 items of passenger rolling stock. They have come from as many sources. Typical is the “Wallingford”, a parlor car built by Pullman in 1927 for the New Haven. It ran on many New Haven limiteds. Originally a 36 seat car, it was rebuilt in 1937 to a seat-parlor lounge. In 1952 it was sold to the Kansas City Southern and in the early 1960’s to the Reader Railroad in Arkansas. Several cars are in the museum or otherwise being used (office cars, storage, etc) by virtue of not being scrapped as they were in work train service at the time railroads were wholesale scrapping passenger equipment. Much of this equipment was donated by the Schiavone Scrap Yard in New Haven.

There are 18 pieces of freight equipment and 7 cabooses owned by the museum or privately owned and stored on the property.

Work equipment includes air operated side dump cars once operated by the Hartford Electric Light Company. There is a locomotive crane, snow plow and derrick car.

Read more on the Essex Steam Train
https://penneyandkc.wordpress.com/essex-steam-train/

CNE Connecticut Connection – Rural Railroad To Canaan

A once important piece of the CNE went through New York State, connected to the Housatonic at Canaan and went East to Hartford.

All the towns on this line were really small.

I have seen many, many pictures. But one that I really fell in love with is from Lakeville, Connecticut.

It is titled “Lakeville in the 1930’s”. Do not know who took it, but it appeared in the 2004
CNE 2004 tour guide book that Bernie Rudberg published.

Nothing really exciting about it. An old ESSO station, a 1930’s car.Couple watching from the bridge.

This bridge in Lakeville was the reason that heavier “Bull Moose” type locomotives could not use parts of this line.

Check out this WebSite. Maybe you will find a picture (or a story) that you appreciate too.

https://penneyandkc.wordpress.com/cne-connecticut-connection/

Critics of high-speed rail step up pressure as federal decision

Took afew minutes for me to get the mail on this.Started out in THE HOUR in Norwalk, Connecticut. Went to California who reblogged it their E-NEWS. Then friend sent to me.

In simplicity: With a major decision looming, preservationists are stepping up their efforts to get the Federal Railroad Administration to rethink its proposed high-speed rail route through Connecticut.

The FRA’s NEC Future would cut 29 miles of new rail lines, between New Rochelle, N.Y., and Greens Farms, under preliminary plans released late last year.

“There is significant concern that the Federal Railroad Administration intends to push through public opposition to the New Rochelle, N.Y. to Greens Farms bypass through Fairfield County,” said Gregory Stroud, director of special projects for The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation. “Until we hear otherwise, the Connecticut Trust intends to exert maximum pressure possible so that this poorly-considered project will be dropped from the plan.”

Stroud said The Connecticut Trust expects the FRA to release its Record of Decision regarding NEC Future around June 1. The decision will identify a Selected Alternative and outline short- and long-term improvements to the Northeast Corridor, the rail line between Washington, D.C., and Boston.

The Washington bureaucrats who are “planning” the “new” Northeast Corridor should understand that Fairfield County is unlike most US counties. The people who run the United States live there or formerly lived there. They throw FRA bureaucrats out on their tails!

The Ride To Choate

Edgar T. Mead recently published a fantastic article in the NRHS BULLETIN on a train trip from New York City to Choate School which is located in Wallingford, CT. I’d like to update his trip into the 1980’s and bring out what we have lost or gained over 50 years.

Unless the student of today wants to find alternate transportation from New Haven to Wallingford, he/she (Choate is now Choate-Rosemary Hall and is coed) cannot leave Grand Central Terminal, but must instead depart Penn Station on AMTRAK’s Springfield Service.

The EP-2 boxcab electric has been replaced by an AEM-7 which is the standard in the Northeast Corridor. The “American Flyer” coaches have been replaced by Amfleet coaches.

Although we don’t go that route, Grand Central to New Rochelle has changed too. The S-1 electric switchers came very close to remaining in the picture as the last one didn’t exit the property until the 1980’s.

NY,Westchester & Boston right-of-way between New Rochelle and Port Chester becomes less visible as time marches on. Also less visible are industries like the Abendroth Foundry. As a matter of fact, most signs of the electrification which one covered all of the sidings are rapidly fading. Even the sidings themselves are fading as the character of the territory becomes less commercial and more residential and service-oriented.

Stamford, with its office towers and new station, would be unrecognizable to someone not having seen it in 50 years. However, long lines of M-2 “Cosmopolitan” cars are lined up waiting for Monday just like the old M-Us did. Today’s wire train can be spotted sometimes at Stamford and is hauled by a GE. It includes the “Washboard Electrics” of 1954.

Bridgeport is still an important stop. The “Blue Goose” which used to run to Waterbury has been replaced with a Budd Rail Diesel Car. Sometimes even that is replaced with a bus. Signs of trolley lines and steam dinkies are obliterated.

The Maybrook line is now only a memory since the Poughkeepsie bridge has burned and the Derby-Shelton bridge has fallen in the river. The truth of the matter is that CONRAIL has other routes available. Freight in general is a ghost of its former self while the passenger business is a growth industry between New Haven and New York.

An engine change at New Haven is still the order of the day for AMTRAK. No more I-4. Instead a single F40 can handle the consist. The dug-away cut through New Haven (old Farmington Canal) still exists. The Connecticut Company is bus not street car. There is no sandwich vendor meeting trains a New Haven, however a respectable donut shop exists inside the station.

Smoking cars still exist on AMTRAK but not so on Metro-North. The solid example which Choate set 50 years ago is now applied to New Haven, Westchester and Long Island commuters.

The changes that have occurred on the mainline are nothing compared to what has happened on the branch lines. The annual football junket to Kent School would be in a lot of trouble because of the sorry state of the Housatonic branch between New Milford and Kent. To begin with, the excursion would have to go south to Norwalk first as the route through Devon Junction is out of service at the Derby bridge Perhaps it would be simpler to go through Pittsfield? Maybe they could just take a bus or watch the game on TV?

Cedar Hill yard still exists (sort of). One old roundhouse still stands as well as a coal tower. The yard is filled with coal hoppers, many still marked for Erie-Lackawanna. Also stored in the yard are the “Roger Williams” RDCs.

Wallingford still looks like it did fifty years ago. The station looks like it should be on a postcard.

Find stories like this one.

https://penneyandkc.wordpress.com/the-ride-to-choate/