GM Tarrytown Plant
Here’s the story when it closed in the 90’s
The plant was first built in 1903 – they built MAXWELL automobiles.
The plant was purchased by GM in 1916 and assigned to it’s CHEVROLET Division.
Tarrytown was linked to New York City by the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad in 1849.
In the past 50 years, the plant manufactured Chevy Impalas in the 50’s & 60’s. 1971 – 1977, lots of VEGAS rolled off the assembly line there which have all rusted into dust with their little aluminum engine blocks, the ultimate death of that car. Yes, the Lumina was the final vehicle manufactured in Tarrytown. Here’s a shot of the plant being torn down with a view of the railroad in 1999;
Something hard to believe now in looking at the wasteland along Metro North in Tarrytown is that in 1980, this plant was the MOST EFFICIENT plant that GM owned with it’s best worker/management relations on record. At that time, the plant was riding high with the production of the popular front-wheel drive Chevy CITATION.
It’s a sad story that the plant died, but for a change, this can’t be blamed on nor linked to it’s rail service in any way. The State wouldn’t give them a tax break to keep production in Tarrytown, Tarrytown was too expensive for the workers to live nearby (they commuted two hours one way, ROUTINELY) and poor management in predicting consumer trends killed it. Japanese cars helped kill it too. Let’s be honest. Chevrolet cars didn’t hold up well, and fell sooner to rust than the competitors.
See more on Croton-Harmon railroad facility
So what does Abraham Lincoln have to do with the New York Central Railroad?
The plaque at the top tells it all. He rode the NY Central to his inauguration and again to his buriel.
Plaque in honor of President Lincoln at 414 W. 30th Street in NY City
It is at the site of the Hudson River Railroad’s New York City passenger station. Lincoln arrived here February 19, 1861 on his route to be inaugurated in Washington DC as President of the United States. After his assination Lincoln’s body went through here April 25, 1865. The Hudson River Railroad became part of the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad and moved it’s main station to what became Grand Central Terminal. The old Hudson River Railroad line in the city became the West Side Freight Line.
Read more about Lincoln
Read more about the NY Central Railroad