Geographically Accurate Subway Map
Called many things: In the HYPERLOOP World: “The Muhammad Ali HYPERLINK”
Our major project is a HYPERLOOP between Louisville, Kentucky and Chicago
We have always been associated with HYPERLOOP ONE
Always been concerned with HYPERLOOP ONE financing, so we are investing time, thoughts, love with VENTURE CAPITAL people.
HYPERLOOP ONE is growing staff and now able to communicate great ideas with us indians: Three Smart Takes On Hyperloop, The Global Supply Chain, And The Infinite Suburb
To celebrate Infrastructure Week, we hosted a series of conversations with people who have ideas for making the global economy more productive, competitive, and safe. Bottom line: It’s time to invest in new ways to move people and goods. It’s #TimeToBuild.
Q&A: Geo-strategist And Best-selling Author Parag Khanna:
The Emerging Global Power That Knows No Borders
What is Hyperloop? It’s the next mode of transportation. Combine the speed of an airplane, the capacity of a metro, the convenience of an automobile and the comfort of an elevator. It’s efficient and on-demand. Only Hyperloop One is building it.
In other projects: The Railroad from Beacon to Hopewell Junction to Southeast is DEAD according to the NY City Metropolitan Transportation Authority. We looked at it. But too short for a HYPERLOOP. Now Governor Cuomo of NY (who REALLY runs the NY City Metropolitan Transportation Authority along with Senator Chuck Schumer) gets his wish A RAIL TRAIL
This old car is now at the Connecticut Electric Railway. Before going to Montréal, it worked in Springfield, Mass. Number 2056 is a steel lightweight built by Wason in 1927 and acquired in 1959.
Going to tell some stories about early years of Connecticut Trolley Museum. Will have to edit it, but the full story is o oour WebSite.
The Connecticut Electric Railway Association (CERA), which operates the Connecticut Trolley Museum in East Windsor, was founded in 1940 by three members of the Connecticut Valley Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. Henry R. Steig, Richard E. Whittier and Roger Borrup incorporated to preserve something of the then-rapidly-disappearing traction era. The museum trackage operates over a section of the old Hartford & Springfield Street Railway Company. This line covered the 25 miles between Hartford and Springfield with two parallel lines on each side of the Connecticut River. Carbarns were in Warehouse Point and across the river in Windsor Locks. It did not directly serve either namesake city, but instead connected with the street railways in each city. It also had two branches: one to Somers and the other to Rockville. The H&S went into receivership in 1918 and the last car on the Rockville branch was in 1926.
3.25 miles of the Rockville branch is now owned by CERA. About 1.5 miles of the line is tracked. The remainder of the right-of-way traverses several curves, descends a six to eight percent grade, then skirts the bank of the Scantic River before crossing to a terminus near Broad Brook. Along this area is Piney Ridge where the H&S ran a small amusement and picnic park.
In its early years, the organization concentrated on acquiring equipment. Much of this was from Connecticut and was moved from car barns with the help of the Seashore Electric in Kennebunk, Maine. About this time, the last cars left the James Street carhouse in New Haven. The 1950 goal was to build 500 feet of track. To accomplish this, rails were hauled in by jeep and boat trailer. Rail was bought from Warwick Ry. in Rhode Island and delivered to nearby Windsor Locks. Seven poles were set by a pole contractor. Also about this time, the North Road Station was completed. A committee was formed to buy a push car for track work. Members had “rail bonds” that they bought. Each $30 bond funded a 30-foot section of rail.
In the early 1950’s, it was much easier to run trips on local railroads and this became the main fund-raiser for the group.
In 1952, members were requested to bring in scrap metal. Some of it still seems to be on the property!
Read the rest of the story and LOTS MORE
The old New Haven to Northhampton line was started in 1846, when the New Haven & Northampton Canal Co. was authorized to build a railroad to replace the canal.
In 1848, the NH&N was leased to the NY&NH (before the NY&NH bought the NH&H to create the NY,NH & H0) who operated it until 1869, then the NH&N ran it until 1887, when the NH bought it, they ran passenger trains until 1929, but until 1969, when the PC got it it was mostly intact (The New Hartford to Collinsville branch was abandoned in 1958, the Shelburne Junction to South Deerfield was gone by 1923, and the rest of the line -South Deerfield toNorthampton – in 1943 and the Willamsburg to Florence in 1962 was abandoned, but the main line was in use). In 1969 PC abandoned the Collinsville to Farmington branch, along with the Florence – Easthampton branch and the main line from Easthampton to Northampton. In 1976, the USRA took out the middle section from Simsbury to Westfield saying it wasn’t needed, the state of Connecticut subsidized the operations from Avon to Simsbury (there was a few customers in Simsbury). In 1981, Connecticut stopped subsidizing freight operations from Avon north to Simsbury, then the B&M (who in my opinion should not RUN a model train layout, let alone a real railroad, acquired the New Haven to Avon line – with the Westfield to Easthampton line taken over by Pioneer Valley. In 1987 New Haven to Cheshire was abandoned (low clearences , so modern boxcars couldn’t go under them), then in 1991 B&M got rid of the Plainville to Avon track. In 1996, B&M got rid of Cheshire to Southington line – and the rest of the line is mostly out of service. Most of the line is now trails. Plainville is the hub of the PAR (nee B&M) operations in Connecticut.
Canal Line Southern end in the 1980’s. Between Cheshire and Hamden.
See lots more on abandoned railroads in Connecticut