Maybrook Map From CONRAIL Era
The Central New England Railway (later New Haven RR) Maybrook Yard connected to other railroads: Lackawanna, Pennsylvania, New York Central, Lehigh & Hudson River, Lehigh & New England, Erie, Ontario & Western, Lehigh Valley
The Central New England Railway Yard at Maybrook, New York
The Maybrook Line across Dutchess County The “Maybrook Line” was important to New England before the advent of Penn Central and before the Poughkeepsie Bridge burned. This piece of the railroad carried freight from Maybrook Yard, across the Poughkeepsie Bridge to Hopewell Junction where it joined a line from Beacon. The railroad then went to Brewster, then Danbury, and finally to Cedar Hill Yard in New Haven.
Even when Maybrook was really active there wasn’t a lot of local business there. Most activity was interchange with five different railroads. The O & W went in the spring of 1957 and the LNE went in the fall of 1961, after that the big two were the Erie Lackawanna and the Lehigh and Hudson River as by this time (early 60’s) the New York Central was not much of a factor in Campbell Hall/Maybrook. The decline of Maybrook was pretty gradual from the end of the O & W in 1957 until the Poughkeepsie Bridge fire in 1974. Another thing, Maybrook was primarily a New Haven operation, most of the other stuff came and went by turns out of Warwick (L & H R), Port Jervis (E L), Middletown (O & W) L & NE (a local from Pen Argyl) and finally the NYC (a local freight from Kingston) the biggest factors at Maybrook was the yard, car shop (the biggest on the New Haven Railroad in the later days of the New Haven), the icing station, the diesel shop which was closed in the late 50’s and the YMCA which was a 24/7 operation and a community center as well as a railroad YMCA and the food there was good too. The yard crews and clerical forces at Maybrook were New Haven people as well and they had a pretty good size force there at one time. They even had a telephone operator there 24/7 until the railroad finally modernized their telephone system with a centrex set up in the mid to late 60’s.