Just read in the Utica, New York “OD” that
After about 20 years of darkness atop the F.X. Matt Brewing Co., it will be a little brighter this summer when a new “Utica Club” sign is energized.
* The original electric sign was erected in 1914 as the “West End Brewing Company” and remained that until 1939.
* In 1939, the brewery replaced it with Utica Club Pilsener and Utica Club Ale (opposite sides).
* F.X. Matt had the sign built to help promote the new beers and boost employee morale.
* The sign took six months to build and used 20 tons of steel.
* It stood 75 feet tall and each letter is 8 feet high.
The new sign will be more structurally sound, and the lights — which are going to be LEDs — will be more energy-efficient.
Utica Mayor Robert Palmieri and Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente also attended the news conference. Palmieri agreed with Matt, saying the new sign is symbolic of how the city is bouncing back and building itself up to be a place people want to live in.
“We’re open for business,” Palmieri said. “(The sign) was out for a while and I guess things were a little stagnant (in Utica) for a while. … Now, there’s a lot going on. This just goes along hand in hand that the city is alive and well and re-lit. … Symbolically, seeing this sign lit just reinforces the fact that we’re coming back.”